Thursday, May 6, 2010

How to cook corn on the cob

I deliberately keep my clocks on the wrong time, which causes my Rebbetzin some frustration. There's no real reason for it; I just do things that way.

[I also never changed the dead battery in the clock in my shul office, but that was for a specific purpose: to avoid the temptation to look at it during a meeting. That same goal was the reason I never wore a watch; I didn't want to fall into the trap that took George H. W. Bush in 1992.]

So once my long-suffering wife asked me, "How can you tell what time it is?" To which I replied, "Just go to www.whattimeisit.com!" She called me on it, so I typed it in - and sure enough, there it was, a site to inform the poor, achronistic websurfer of the time of day.

That came to mind this evening, when I was preparing corn on the cob for the kids' dinner [the last of my Rebbetzinless week]. I wanted to do something unusual with it, rather than simply boil it. So I went to www.howtocookcornonthecob.com - and lo, there was a page offering instruction on steaming, boiling, microwaving and grilling becobbed corn.

This, of course, led me to contemplate some other potential How-To websites addressing life's challenges:
www.how_to_cook_rice_without_clumping_it.com (I like the clumps, for the record)
www.how_to_find_that_missing_sock.com
www.how_to_see_the_doctor_without_spending_two_hours_in_the_waiting_room.com
www.how_to_tie_a_tie_right_the_first_time.com

And life's particularly Jewish challenges:
www.how_to_find_a_seat_in_shul_in_the_non_talking_section.com
www.how_to_eat_enough_before_yom_kippur_without_feeling_bloated_at_kol_nidrei.com
www.how_to_find_kosher_cheese_that_wont_turn_moldy_before_you_get_home_from_the_supermarket.com
www.how_to_light_your_menorah_outdoors_on_a_windy_night_without_burning_down_the_porch.com
www.how_to_choose_a_rabbi_who_isnt_too_lenient_or_too_strict.com

For the record, I found a recipe I thought would be different enough to be interesting, without being so interesting that the kids wouldn't go for it; you can find it here. It wasn't bad!

9 comments:

  1. For the Jewish questions, you could always come to the one-stop shop for all your questions and answers about Jewish life and learning, mi.yodeya.com. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In fact, I took your first Jewish question and made it into an experiment. Let's see how long it takes to get a quality answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this the meatier material?


    :-)
    KT
    Joel Rich

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more self-promotional comment, and I'm done: 8 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isaac-
    Thanks; I like the answers over there.

    Joel-
    We'll get to that eventually; for now, there are always the audio shiurim...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rabbi T, when you make the leap from grilled corn recipes to Jewish philosophical questions, might I respectfully suggest you may have been inhaling too many bleach fumes when doing the laundry? A quiet, darkened room usually helps, and with the Rebbetzin now home your recovery should go faster. Shabbat Shalom

    ReplyDelete
  7. nu? was the roasted corn with red peppers good?

    ReplyDelete
  8. ProfK-
    Along the way to recovery, yes, thanks.

    Rafi G-
    The pepper was a little strong, but I'm good with that. Had to rinse it off for one of the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm surprised. I was sure that you'd be blogging about how to bug check the corn.

    ReplyDelete